Thursday, September 30, 2004

Real Men Love Jesus

I was driving home from Michaels today, where I bought the yarn for my niece Madeline's Christmas poncho, and the car in front of me had the bumper sticker "Real Men Love Jesus". Now, certainly, this is far preferable to one I saw the other day that read "Show Me Your ______" (I'll let you imagine what goes in the blank), but still, do I need this kind of propaganda driving in my car? I have never been a fan of people trying to cram religion down the throats of others, and especially in such a non-convincing way. I mean honestly. To what audience does this sticker preach? Are there men out there who are going to read it and say "Golly, I'd better run off to church then, because I'm a real man?"

And what about the women who let these men have such stickers? If your husband or boyfriend's car is adorned with any such nonsense, I beg of you, peel it off. (Also if he wears sports jerseys with another man's name on the back, try to convince him this is not suitable for a person over the age of 10, but I digress.)

I don't know why this bugs me so much. And if you disagree, I'd be happy to hear your comments. On to more important topics.

I'm trying to design a poncho for Madeline. She's 8 and wears a size 7 girls clothes (or maybe size 8). I'm doing the two rectangle type, and I think we figured out to make the rectangles 15" by 22". I just wish I could figure out how big this will end up. As I've said, I'm no good at math. I tried to work it out on paper, applying the Pythagorean Theorem, but now I think that only applies to right triangles. I'm just going to knit it and see what happens.

You may be wondering how I could buy new yarn, given that I am grounded from the yarn store. The only exception is for Christmas gifts, AND it can't be expensive. So I got Lion Brand Microspun for $3.99 a ball and Patons Twister was on sale for $3.97. The entire project cost $20. Considering what I spend at fancy yarn stores, this is almost free.

Speaking of fancy yarn stores, I hear Jessica Knits opened in North Scottsdale. I am going to head up there to check it out next week with Kim, and I will not buy anything. I'm excited though because they have Rowan and Debbie Bliss yarns, and the reports from other people are that it's a great store and Jessica is friendly. I am asking for yarn gift certificates for Christmas, so maybe I'll get them there. I hope they have Rowan Kidsilk Haze – I just want to feel it and see if it's as wonderful as it looks.

2 Comments:

Blogger Becky said...

Hey Brooke,

2:32 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

Hey Brooke, I understand what you mean about the bumper stickers. It irks me almost as much as when people come up and ask "Do you know Jesus?"

2nd item: If you haven't started the Poncho yet I would reconsider the Microspun. If you havne't knit with it before it is like knitting with 6 strands of embroidery floss that you pulled apart and then tried to twist back together. I personally don't have the patience to try to knit with it again.
Also check out the Knit Stitch by Sally Melville. It has a great 2 rectangle poncho pattern. I will try to bring it tomorrow.

2:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home