Thursday, October 07, 2004

New Blog Name: Cranky Knitter

I got myself all in a funk yesterday afternoon because I had to go to a Jr. League Meeting last night. I just transferred into the league here, and as with any organization they do things differently than I'm used to. My biggest complaints are that they meet in a church (I think it's unnecessarily exclusionary), they don't serve wine (even though I can't drink it now, I find it unnatural to have a volunteer meeting without wine, call me crazy), and lastly, none of my friends are there.

I recognize this last one is no fault of the chapter here, it is merely a function of the fact I moved away and my league friends stayed in California. And I miss them. They are great, interesting, talented women and I have to go to meetings and functions without them. Of course the remedy is to make new friends with these great, interesting, talented women. But I am stubborn, and I don't make new friends easily.

So I drove to the meeting, all the while complaining in my head, and of course by the end I was glad I went. I was reminded why I joined the league, I had fun, I learned some things. So hopefully I will not be so cranky next time, and I'll just go to the meeting and be cheerful. Okay, that's doubtful, but at least I can try.

I worked on Anne's poncho yesterday, but only a little bit. I woke up in the middle of the night with my left hand cramping up like a claw. When I told my mom about it I got an earful about how I need to be careful because my grandmother knit sweater vests for everyone one Christmas and ended up hurting her shoulder so badly she could never knit again. (Never knit again? My goodness, what would happen to me?)

I didn't sleep well last night, and I found myself thinking about Rowan Kidsilk Haze. Probably because I was flipping through the Rowan Magazine #35 which has a few projects with this lovely yarn. It's $13 a ball though, and the one sweater I love takes 10 balls. The other sweater takes 20, so we're talking either $130 or $260 a project. Jeez Louise.

I wonder if I should start with something smaller and make sure I like working with the yarn. It is extremely thin, and the sweaters are knit up on size 5 needles. Would I get bored? There is a scarf in the magazine that I could try, and it takes only 3 balls.

I'm sure there is a substitute yarn I could try as well that is less pricey. Maybe next time I head up to Jessica Knits I'll ask her opinion. She has a great service – you can register for yarn at her store. Imagine getting boxes of yarn for Christmas this year! How exciting. I am determined to make something for myself after the holidays, although I imagine my knitting time will be cut down having an infant around.

(I wonder what it says about me that I'm lying awake at night thinking about yarn?)

I'm off to the doctor this morning – I have six weeks left until my due date. I wish he would modify it and make it sooner, but he seems pretty confident with the 18th of November. Jack and I had a talk yesterday about him coming into the world, it would make Thanksgiving more enjoyable if he could just be about a week early. He's hearing none of it, I guess he's happy where he is. Who wouldn't be?

1 Comments:

Blogger illanna said...

Hey Brooke!

When i went to Jessica knits, she calculated the number of skeins a project would take for different types of yarn and then she calculated the different prices it would be. I think she has the kidsilk haze and i know she has a lot of other stuff like it, so maybe she can help you find a less expensive substitute. I could never rationalize buying 230 dollars worth of yarn for a sweater for myself, so i know what you mean. Also, check out Elann.com because you can do a search by gauge. That usually works out pretty cheap too.

11:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home