Saturday, September 25, 2004

Oh, you have to READ the pattern

I took my little sweater up to my parent's house yesterday to ask my mom about the sleeve problem I was having. I got everything out and started to look at the pattern to explain my issue with this particular pattern writer, and I saw a very crucial line. "Increase at EACH end of the 4th and following 8th rows." I was only increasing one end. Once I followed the directions the sleeves came out fine. I was able to knit both of them while I was watching over my ailing father.

The funny thing is, I had this same problem with another outfit I made for Julie's baby. I only increased one side of the row and ended up with an incredibly long leg for a pair of footed pants I made him. I had to rip the whole thing out once I finally figured it out.

I do think knitting must have been invented by a woman who had to take care of someone sick. It's hard to just sit there and watch someone be in pain. But having my knitting really helped keep me occupied. Especially in the ER waiting room – we sat for two hours with nothing to do. My dad was drugged so he just stared off into space, and my mom had some kind of snowman stitching thing she was working on. I finished the second sleeve. Now all I have to do is assemble the sweater, which looks a little bit hard.

On an unrelated note, I have a bit of advice to give the world. If you ever see a pregnant woman walking around and you think she looks bigger than she should, just tell her she looks great or healthy or something. Why would it ever be okay to exclaim "My god you're huge? Are you sure you're only having one?" I am not huge, I asked my doctor if I was bigger than I'm supposed to be and he said no. The baby is no bigger than normal. I am getting tired of people telling me I look big. I'm almost 8 months pregnant for crying out loud, what do you expect me to look like?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home