Sunday, June 19, 2005

How Much is that Doggie in the Window?

Our dog sitter moved to New York, and Guido the Beagle has not been the same since. Here he is, pining away for PJS on the back of the couch:

guido

We are going away this Saturday night and still have not secured a sitter for our wild beasts. The great thing about PJS is that he loved staying with the dogs as much as they loved having him. That is a tough act to follow.

Our dogs are overly coddled, I know this. They don’t go to kennels, they don’t stay home alone and have someone drop by to feed them, they really don’t like being left at all. If they have to be left, they’d better really really like the person or we will be punished upon our return.

So the search is on for a new dog sitter.

I can’t get too upset though, because I am going away! Going away! A night with no baby, no dogs, no laundry, no dishes! I can hardly contain my excitement. I am afraid, however, that Joe and I will sit across the dinner table from one another and have nothing to say other than “What do you think the little guy is up to?”

On the knitting front I finally finished Mariposa. It isn’t blocked – I sent Jonelle an email asking how I ought to block Bamboo. Full immersion? Spray bottle? Steam iron? The options are endless, and I really don’t know with this fiber what the best solution would be.

Here are some pictures. Yes, I’m in my pajamas, yes I look horrid. Deal with it and just look at the shawl please.

finished front

finished back 2

I learned a lot from this project. Namely, I am not a shawl person. I thought I would have trouble relinquishing this item back to SWTC because of the time and effort put into the piece, but I find myself relieved that it will be put to good use outside of my home. If I kept it I would feel obligated to wear it, and it’s just not my thing.

Secondly, I love to knit lace. I love the charts, I love the yarn-overs that make little holes, I love the repeats in the pattern that slowly unveil their beauty. I am going to have to find more lace projects in my future. Just not of the shawl variety.

The minute I finished weaving in all those little ends, I picked up my Debbie Bliss yarn and cast on my new project. I got this far:

new

and measured my gauge. I am two stitches off per 4 inches. I can’t believe it. There are supposed to be 8 stitches and I have 10. And I’m using size 17 needles for crying out loud. So I guess the next size is 19s? I’m afraid the yarn would be too holey at that level. What to do, what to do?

The next thing I'm sick of? My mom being gone in Hawaii. She doesn't even call me when she's gone, can you believe that? She must be too busy carrying on with those surfers, but don't tell my dad about that.

4 Comments:

Blogger PJS said...

poor Guido.

8:02 AM  
Blogger :| raven |: said...

my dog is as spoiled .. she's never been to a kennel ... she's so pampered ... she gets upset when i leave her ovednight with friends. they tell me she whines and sits by the door. :(

she's my baby :)

7:40 PM  
Blogger PJS said...

I have it on the best authority that someone we all know and love has offered to watch the dogs.

7:23 AM  
Blogger eyeleen said...

gorgeous shawl! Cute dogs.

8:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home