Thursday, June 09, 2005

Spontaneous Tomato

When we lived in Northern California and I grew a wonderful vegetable garden. I loved it – things just grew when you put them in the ground. My tomatoes were huge and happy. Here is what the garden looked like two years ago:

tomato 2

The growing season in Arizona is quite different. We have two short growing seasons on either side of summer, so we can’t grow things that take a long time to ‘hatch’. So imagine my surprise today when I saw this growing in our yard with no prompting from me:

tomato

No, it is not marijuana. It is one small tomato. Who knows what kind, but it’s there. I soaked it with the hose and when it gets hotter I will put up a shade. I am amazed. I know not what to say.

I’ve reached another standstill with Mariposa. I am supposed to pick up and knit along the front edge to create the wrap part of the shawl. I am horrible at picking up and knitting – the numbers never work out for me. I have tried 6 times to no avail. I picked up another lace project while I thought about it, because just staring into space wasn’t working. I had a small knitting epiphany. I am going to knit the front separate and sew it on when I’m done. I am monumentally more skilled at seaming, so this is the only solution. Wish me luck.

Thanks to Parley and Jeff for sharing their thoughts about being picked on as a kid. I know I cannot shield Jack from every evil in the universe, but it’s interesting to hear some ideas about how kids develop. It seems that even the best intentions can mess with a kid’s head.

Tomorrow is knitting at Postino’s at 2. This is a lovely little wine bar in Arcadia and they have $5 glasses of wine before 3. Plus the bruchetta is amazing. I may go early to eat if anyone is interested.

5 Comments:

Blogger JanetsJourney.com said...

I am always a little "wierded out" by the lack of green in some of the pictures. I realize it is desert - do most homes have no yards?

5:08 AM  
Blogger Jack and Nicholas said...

I'll take some green pictures for you - we do have yards. Tons of money is spent on keeping grass alive in a climate that was not intended for grass!

Still, it's not green like Florida or California. It is very dry here and stuff just doesn't grow well.

7:30 AM  
Blogger Knitty Gritty Thoughts said...

Good luck with the tomato plant, hope it keeps on growing for you. I lived in AZ for about 4 years while I was in school and had trouble even keeping a potted plant alive! =)

10:29 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

Aww, you have a volunteer.

My father is fascinated with volunteer tomates. I'm not really sure why because he plants a billion each year and then has to fight off the rabbits and birds. And cows (they lived next to a cow pasture, the cows leaned over the fence for a snack. In dad's defense, the pasture was empty when he planted them.) Of course there's going to be rouge seeds around with all that animal eating and pooping...

4:02 PM  
Blogger PJS said...

Incidentally, I have decided to call my first novel "Spontaneous Tomato".

P.S.- My roommate has been out of town seven days, and 90% of the flowers left in my care are now deceased.

5:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home