Monday, June 13, 2005

Grass in the Desert

As Squareslant mentioned in the comments, Phoenix often looks less-than-green. So here are two pictures showing a bit of greenery. This is our front yard:

house

Not overly green, but not bad either. And here is a shot down the street:

street

Palm trees do very well here, but there are also lots of other trees that stay green all summer. We’re lucky to live in a very mature neighborhood – our house was built in 1935 so there are big trees to provide shade. But as I said, a lot of money is spent to keep these lawns and trees alive.

On the knitting front I am slowly progressing with the Mariposa front. More importantly I made a difficult and painful decision regarding this sweater:

before

Remember this? It’s made from Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Superchunky. I cast it on in December and I realized a few things this past week.

1. I am not longer a “small” when it comes to sweaters, thanks to Jack. I don’t know if my smallness will ever return, but I would hate to have a beautiful sweater I could never wear.

2. Rebecca patterns are horrible. I hated every minute of trying to decipher this pattern and it made the knitting less enjoyable.

3. I made a mistake in the increases.

4. After so long, it was virtually impossible to figure out where I was in the pattern.

Because of these reasons, I made the decision to rip it out. Here is the final result:

unraveled

I love this yarn so much, and I needed to find a suitable pattern that will carry me through my varied chest size. A cardigan or jacket seemed the best solution, but pattern shopping is not my forte. It’s hard for me to match gauge if I already have the yarn. Luckily for me though, my mom was wanting to see the babe yesterday and Jessica’s is right around the corner. While he napped I headed over to see what I could see.

Part of my problem is that I don’t like Debbie Bliss adult patterns for the most part. I looked at a Rowan book that had some cute stuff in the same gauge, but I would have to buy two more balls of yarn at least. She still had my dye lot, but that’s another $32 out the window. I pressed on, chatting with Emily and the new girl (sorry, I can’t remember her name). Jessica actually took the day off, which I think is great, but I was sorry to have missed her. Anyhow, I finally came up with this:

weekend_jacket

It’s a Knitting Pure and Simple pattern so I know it will be easy and I can modify it if I so choose. The bad news is about needles. I didn’t check the pattern and left without buying size 17s. Darn it. I might try to get to Michaels today and see if they have what I need so I can get it started. Not that I need another project on needles, but still.

We did go to Postino Friday but no one showed up. I had lunch with my mom and Potusol, and then we waited around for about 20 minutes. Since no one came I went home and took a nap. It was lovely.

5 Comments:

Blogger potusol said...

Just so you know, it's totally okay to just call me Jeff. The whole "potusol" thing gets people all tongue tied. My secret internet identity was blown long ago : )

3:26 PM  
Blogger PJS said...

Sign. Postino. Sigh.

7:21 PM  
Blogger PJS said...

When I said "sign" above, I actually meant "sigh". It should have read as follows:

"Sigh. Postino. Sigh."

7:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brooke, I'm so sorry. I forgot to reply to the evite that I couldn't go. Chris and I had a graduation party in Flagstaff that I totally forgot about until the last minute. I feel so badly for being flakey. I hope you'll still get together with me for wine and knitting in the future.

Michelle

8:43 AM  
Blogger JanetsJourney.com said...

Brook --- GREAT HOUSE! Lovely pics! You are always kind to "show" me things. Know that it is appreciated.

9:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home