Sunday, October 31, 2004

Happy Halloween!

We're not big on celebrating, but of course we have enough candy just in case the entire city of Phoenix decides to come knocking at our door.

Yesterday I went up to Jessica Knits to sit in on a class taught by Emily. It went well – there were only 2 real students but they did a fantastic job. I was practicing throwing yarn and didn't do too badly, although I was having trouble with tension. And I had to force myself to keep the yarn out of my left hand. I can't wait until I get to teach a class there – it is so much fun to teach beginners in the middle of yarn heaven. After the class we helped them pick out yarn for a scarf project. I took Lynette around – she wanted something simple with blacks and greys. I found this fantastic Lorna's Laces worsted weight superwash wool that had black, grey and white. I think it will be perfect for her.

I used my sock yarn for practice – it is the softest thing I've ever felt in my life. As I was knitting along I kind of liked the result, so I threw in some drop stitch rows and came up with this:



Hmmm, maybe I'll keep going and make myself a nice little scarf instead of socks? The yarn is called Merion et Soie and is made by a company in New Zealand called Naturally. Love it.

Are we all tired of the sweater vest yet? Here it is again, but looking more and more like a sweater. I'm still fussing about how to get the cable to continue around the v-neck – I may have to practice it first to make sure I get it right. If anyone has advice please leave me a comment.



I was on the phone with my anonymous girlfriend yesterday discussing the state of affairs with her love life. She's 30 something, in a long term relationship with a guy who – while not a total loser is certainly not someone I would have picked for her – and lamenting the fact that everyone is married and bearing children. Why is she not marrying Mr. Wonderful? Well, lots of reasons, mainly in the financial/commitment/this is for life category. But she can't cut bait because, after all, is there anything better out there?

Somehow I have always been the relationship counselor for my friends, acquaintances, people I meet at the bus stop. (Okay, that's a lie, I don't ride the bus. But I do feel like I should write an advice column sometimes.) I hear this story over and over. "I've invested too much time in him, who else is there? Shouldn't I just settle for what I've got?"

And truth be told, it is very hard to find the right person once you are no longer in school. I used to make fun of my brother for getting married 9 days after graduating from college, but now I'm starting to think he had a good point. I opted for quite a different road, and boy did I have to kiss a lot of frogs before I ended up where I am today. (And get my heart severely broken a few times. My friends who had to peel me off the floor and mold me back together can attest to that fact.)

Do I have a point here? I guess it's just this. Finding your partner in life is a hell of a lot of work. It's worth it, but its still work. Settling for the wrong person will end up either in court, or with you drinking yourself silly alone in your bedroom late at night. Neither are good options.

Do the work. Find the right person. I promise you, in the end it will be worth every horrible date, every unreturned phone-call, and every broken heart. And for the sake of all that is good and holy in this world, don't settle for the wrong one.

On that note, today's list will be dedicated to my beloved husband.

Reasons Joe is Great

He can stand me.
After five years, I never get tired of listening to what he has to say.
He is one of the few people on this earth I can travel with for long periods of time.
He makes me laugh – the kind of laughing that hurts your sides.
He is an excellent cook, and makes me dinner every night.
He is just as lazy as I am.
His clothing is uncomplicated.
He appreciates good wine.
His favorite thing to do is go to the yarn store and then come home and rub my feet. (Okay, so that's a complete lie. We can't have everything can we?)
He is the kind of person I want my son to be.


4 Comments:

Blogger Creative Genius? said...

Maybe your friend needs the book "He's Just Not That Into You : The No-Excuses Truth to Understanding Guys"
by Greg Behrendt, Liz Tuccillo.

(http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/068987474X/103-3991350-9633404)

It's totally funny, but yet scarly true! But when it comes down to it - if a guy isn't that into you, and you want more - then it's time to look for something better because it's out there!

It's rough being the friend that girlfriends come to and cry on (over and over expecially when they don't learn their lesson the first 100 times) - so I've taken the quote as my own when listening to my roomate cry over guys over and over again...

"Gosh Colleen - I guess he's JUST NOT THAT INTO YOU!" It works - she no longer crys on my shoulder! And I am happier becuase of it! :-)

10:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Brooke, your blog is creative. Wow! As I was out blog surfing for detailed info on shaker furniture wood working plans I found you rpage. Obviously I ended up a little off base, but I am certainly glad I did. If you would not mind, I would like to post your link to my "favorites" page to come back and read again sometime. Should you ever need
it, there's lots of information on this site about shaker furniture wood working plans.

6:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jack, I liked your blog. Just out blog surfing looking for info on wood working dust collector when I ended up on your page. Obviously I ended up a little off base, but I am certainly glad I found it. I would like to post your link on my "favorites" page for future reference and reading. Should you ever need it, you can get specific information about wood working dust collector at the site above.

7:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jack, your blog is creative. Wow! As I was out blog surfing for detailed info on carpentry wood working I found you rpage. Obviously I ended up a little off base, but I am certainly glad I did. If you would not mind, I would like to post your link to my "favorites" page to come back and read again sometime. Should you ever need
it, there's lots of information on this site about carpentry wood working.

5:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home