Thursday, January 06, 2005

I HATE MATH!

Ok, it’s not really math I’m bad at, unless I’m in kindergarten. It’s counting. I was working on Clapotis last night while feeding the little man (I think it was 4 a.m., but I could be wrong), and I could have sworn I had one too many stitches for the row I was on. If you haven’t looked at the pattern, it has a series of increase rows, 84 in all (I used a calculator to arrive at that number because it’s a set of 12 rows repeated 7 times. I know better than to trust myself to multiply 12 by 7 in my head.) You increase at the end of every row and then every 12th row you have to add new markers. So I thought I was on the 8th row, but I had the number of stitches for the 10th row.

I put the knitting down and went to bed. When I picked it up I decided to undo the increase from the last row and just leave it at that. As you can see from the picture there are far too many markers involved to rip anything back and get the markers back where they belong, so I just decided to live with whatever mistake I had made.

Only I hadn’t made a mistake. I went to knit the row and now there were too FEW stitches. I had it right the first time. That shows me I should not knit in the middle of the night. Or I should count things twice (haven’t I learned this lesson before?)

So here is Clapotis now, 56 stitches into the increases:



It curls up a ton, so I’m hoping that goes away when I drop the stitches. I had to use my stitch counted at the bottom to hold it in place.

There is a mini SnB meeting this Sunday at 2 at Pita Jungle, and another one Monday at Lux coffee bar at 10 a.m. We’ll see if the little guy cooperates and lets me knit!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooooh I am so glad you posted about the minis this weekend! I want to come to both!

11:02 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

Jeez, for a moment I thought you were knitting underware!
I saw Paula's clapitois (sp?) on Tuesday and was marveling at the sheer number of stitch markers.
Glad you're coming sunday.

11:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I've droped sts in two columns now. That's all on one side, of course, so it hasn't yet reached the bottom point where it's curling it. However, it's certainly still curling in on the side with the drops. I just figure I'll have to block it ... right after I figure out how to hold something that big flat.

By the way, I also attached a pin-on sort of marker to the piece at each 12-row repeat. Much easier for me to count up to 12 and look and see that I'm on the 4th repeat, than to count to 84 and hope I haven't missed a row.

Paula

12:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home