Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Swatching is for the birds

What is with me and swatching? I cast on for my double secret project yesterday and I needed a gauge of 4.5 stitches per inch on size 8 needles. I did my swatch, it came out right, I started knitting. I had maybe 3 inches done and I thought to myself, this looks way too wide for what I’m allegedly making. Let me measure.

Ugh.

My gauge was 4 stitches per inch. So instead of being 15 inches wide as it needed to be, my knitting was over 17 inches wide! This is a big difference. I ripped the entire thing out and started over, and since I’m under a deadline this was very disappointing.

At least I love the yarn – Debbie Bliss Cotton Denim Aran. It’s soft and light and pleasant to knit, even more than once.

I’ve been doing more thinking about the Breast Cancer 3 Day walk. I had a friend do it in San Francisco a few years back and she talked about what a great overall experience it was. A group of women got together to train twice a week – training only consists of walking mind you – and then they all walked the 60 miles together. All of them lost weight, got into better shape, and had fun while doing it. And of course they benefited a wonderful organization at the same time.

So are any of my knitting friends interested? (I know you guys are reading, I can see you on my site meter. You can’t hide from me….Kim, Becky, Jen, Pam, Amy, Alison, Kirsten, Illanna, Julie, Shannon….)

So leave me a comment if you think you want to join me, or if you’ve done it before, or if you don’t want to join me but you want to give a good excuse as to why you can’t. I will be going to the orientation session next Wednesday night so I should have more information then, but the website is very thorough so I can’t imagine what else they will tell me.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Brooke,

I've been reading your blog for awhile and have come to a few of the meetings. I've been thinking of doing the 3-day walk and think it would be a great idea if a group of us from S'n B would go. Where is the information meeting in Tempe?

Heather
hjallen@cox.net

9:33 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

Great event, great cause. I won't be able to do it, mostly because of work. Other minor factors include being completely out of shape and very lazy. I will, however, be more then willing to sponsor you and/or some of the other Snbers.
BTW, you rock for doing this.

10:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can count me in. If we could hike to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and back with ridiculously heavy backpacks when we were 13, we should certainly be able to do this.
Julie

5:31 PM  
Blogger Creative Genius? said...

Ok you really want to know - I am lame - I admit it! I think the 3-day walk is awesome. A bunch of my gal friends did it this year and had a blast... but here are my excuses:

1) $2100 is a lot of money to raise and I am not sure if I am that talented (although I do know they will help you with some good ideas)

2) I hate to walk! I'd rather run the Susan G Komen Race for the Cure and be done with it in 30 minutes or so...

3) I hope to be with child by then and... well... who knows if I am going to be up to walking that far then and sleeping in a tent on the ground!

4) I am a wimp (blisters) and way too lazy to committ this far in advance!

Ok - with that said - count me in for a donation to your walk and any other knitting buddy who walks too! It won't be a ton, but every little but help! My grandmother had BC as did several of my mother's friends... so it's a cause close to my heart -Good luck and I am proud of you all!

11:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home