Thursday, February 17, 2005

The Best Laid Plans

My cousin Stephanie is having a baby shower this weekend in DC. I don't get to be there, but I was planning on sending a gift with my mom. Another baby jacket like I made Angus was the plan. Ha. I don't know who I was kidding. I did start it, but that's about it.

What makes me crazy is the gauge swatch I did. (psst. Hey Kim. And Jen. This is what a swatch looks like)

guage2v

If you were to count those stitches, there are 9 in 2 inches. Therefore, my gauge is 4.5 stitches per inch, which is what the pattern calls for. But then look at this:

guage

If you felt like counting them, you would see 10 stitches in 2 inches, for a gauge of 5 stitches per inch. Significantly different.

So why the change? Did I not knit a big enough swatch? Did my tension change that much? Should I rip it out?

While I decide, the sweater will sit here and wait for me.

I have to finish the hood for the baby jacket anyhow, and I cast on for it last night at Mama Javas during our SnB meeting. Jack wasn't super cooperative, however, and I only knit 3 rows. But it was great to see everyone. Jen, Pam, Melanie, and Kim showed up early, so we all got great seats. It wasn't a huge crowd which was nice. Some of our meetings have been getting so big lately it's hard to talk to anyone.

Here are some pictures from the evening:

mama ja 2

Sherry got her hair done lighter – doesn’t it look great? And on the far right is Kathy who is visiting from out of town and found us online.

mama jav

Look how smiley Pam is! And Kiki is in the background – she's been very ill and we were happy to see her.

Michelle lent me her Fall 2004 copy of Interweave Knits to check out the flower basket shawl. One skein of the KnitPicks glimmer yarn will make it, and I do like it quite a bit. I'm just afraid it may be too hard for me. Something else to contemplate.

Did anyone catch Jon Stewart last night? The entire first half was about bloggers and how they are changing the media. He was talking specifically about political bloggers, which of course I am not one. But it was interesting to see how this new fad is making the "real" media sit up and pay attention. (I've never been a fan of the media. I get my news from Yahoo headlines, Jon Stewart, the New York Times Magazine, and Joe. If it's not in one of those places I probably don't need to know about it.)

If you want proof that I allow people to hold my baby, head over to Jack's blog to see Kathy in action.

2 Comments:

Blogger potusol said...

I love Jon Stewart. I just saw his whole blogger deal via a link on a political bloggers website. I think it's really interesting just how shaken up the "real" media has gotten over all this stuff. They don't seem to like the unwashed masses stepping on their toes.

3:48 AM  
Blogger PJS said...

I am sitting here laughing out loud at "Instead, I looked like a stoned hunchback".

12:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home