Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Happy Valentine's Day to Me

Yesterday I was driving around running errands with the little guy – grocery store and Southwest Trading Company to be exact. One radio station was asking callers what they really wanted for Valentine's Day if they could have anything, and how likely they would be to get it. Of course people wanted to go to Hawaii, they wanted roses and chocolates, they wanted their boyfriends to surprise them with some extravagant gift. (Not surprisingly, all the callers were women. I think men hate this holiday.)

I got to thinking about it – what did I want for Valentines? We celebrated Saturday night by seeing a movie and going to Eddie's, so we didn't have any real plans. And we weren't doing gifts because it's such a made up gift giving occasion.

All I really wanted was a quiet evening at home. No screaming baby, no barking dogs. Just me and Joe hanging out and having dinner together, and maybe a small cocktail. And a good nights sleep. The more I thought about it the more I realized I could have all this, it would just take some work. Inspired by Squareslant (her Feb 9th posting, to be exact), I realized no one was going to make the night happen like I wanted it to but me. I guess I could tell Joe "Come home, clean up the house, put the kid to sleep and let's have a romantic dinner." But how much better it would be to surprise him with a cleaner house, sleeping baby and romantic dinner.

The menu was already set (Joe plans our meals so I knew we were having hamburgers. Fine by me. Who cares if hamburgers are casual food?) so I just had to get the house, kid and dogs ready.

In honor of the occasion I went and bought a dress – sort of a 1950's housewife costume if you will. Here Jack is contemplating my gin:

valentine dinner 2

(I know I look a little crazed. I'm not sure why. Maybe it's because I haven't had gin in almost a year.)

We pulled it off! I got the baby to bed around 8:15 after Joe got home, I drugged the dogs (I just gave them Valerian, but if I had something stronger on hand I probably would have used that), I set the table and I put on a dress.

It was the best Valentine's Day ever. And I did get a good night's sleep (sort-of).

Now, on the knitting front. I took the baby jacket by SWTC to show them I didn't have enough yarn. Sure enough, Jonelle's mother was there and she needed 3 balls of yarn for her sweater made out of Phoenix. So they gave me some more and sent me on my way. Not without giving me a new project though. It's a little girl sweater made out of bamboo and it's super cute. Here is a picture of all the new yarn:

swtc yarn

The purple is for the new girly sweater, and the red is my free yarn! Free! Like I needed new yarn, but still. The little white skein is some handspun wool she just gave me for the heck of it – it's too small to do anything substantial but it's really really soft. I may just leave it in the skein and fondle it for a while.

3 Comments:

Blogger JanetsJourney.com said...

Ahhhhhhhhh…I’m so glad you guys had a nice evening! I feel like “the wise old woman of the tribe” so to speak. Who cares who plans the evening – if both enjoy it!

I got one planned for tonight. It involves a warm bath, lots of bubbles, a large sponge I bought on the cruise and some candle light. I guess you could say I going for some “clean fun.”

12:10 PM  
Blogger JanetsJourney.com said...

P.S. I love the Dress!

5:57 PM  
Blogger Mac and Caden said...

The dress is great. When I saw the picture of you and Jack, I seriously thought, "Wow, she cleaned the dining room." I'm glad you had a nice evening at home together!

9:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home