Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Controversy on the Blog

Who would have thought that a knitting blog would cause such an uproar? Apparently I am able to offend people without even trying.

First off, let me tell you a little about my day. Jack slept about 2 minutes last night, so I am as tired as a June Cow. I still went to the gym because I am sick to death of feeling like a slug. Then we met Julie and Mac for lunch and yarn shopping in Mesa. At lunch Julie mentioned that Mac sleeps 10 hours a night (He's 3 weeks older than Jack), and has for quite a while. Upon hearing this news I did what anyone would in my situation. I cried.

For some perspective, Julie has known me for 27 years (yes, we are indeed that old) and has probably send me teary eyed a total of ten times. Weddings, funerals, and the occasional sad movie. I know this open display of tears alarmed her, and for that I am sorry.

After yarn shopping, where Julie bought some fabulous eyelashy red yarn to make a scarf for her cousin Joy, I hopped in the car, fed the little guy, and attempted to drive him to my mom. Apparently he was not done eating, however, because he screamed to high heaven for about 15 minutes. I pulled over, fed him some more in a random office parking lot, and continued on my way. (Fortunately no one came out of the building because I didn't bother to cover myself while feeding the guy. If anyone had a problem with my public display of breastfeeding, I probably would have flipped them off. I can feed one-handed, I'm very talented.)

I dropped him off and sped home to finish a business plan for my dad and get it sent off to the printers. I was overwhelmed with stress, but luckily got it out the door just as my mom was returning with the screaming child.

And then I got Illana's comment via email. What a great way to end my day, knowing I have inadvertently pissed off a fellow knitter. Bonus.

I am now sitting on the couch with a much needed glass of wine and no knitting pictures to share.

If I offended anyone by saying I don't go to the Barnes and Noble knitting meetings, I sincerely apologize. I really think it's important to support local independent shops as much as possible. I like the smaller groups afforded by the coffee shop gatherings. I think it's fine for people to meet other places, and calling the other groups "factions" was really just a joke.

Sigh.

If Joe ever gets home I'm going to slip into the tub and try to forget about today.

12 Comments:

Blogger PJS said...

you can offend me as many times as you want and i will still love you.

7:55 PM  
Blogger potusol said...

I was worried that there was gonna be a knitting rumble or you'd end up getting whacked in the coffee shop parking lot.

Sorry about your rough day, I'm thinking it's the full moon or something.

9:08 PM  
Blogger JanetsJourney.com said...

If that blog offended anyone - then they were looking for something to be offended by. Don't worry about it! Being a new mother to Jack is enough to handle - you should not have to worry about oversensitive adults.

9:54 PM  
Blogger Chengdus & Don'ts said...

I didn't realize that you were in tears over Mac sleeping through the night. I am sorry if I wasn't very supportive today. I think you blog is very funny and not offensive in the least. I think if someone has a personal beef about something that you wrote in your blog it should be addressed to you personally, not posted on your blog. In fact, it should be talked about in person or at least over the phone. I think it was just a whole miscommunication and I am sorry that it happened. I hope your night and day are better :)

11:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know, perhaps I am biased because I happen to agree with you about patronizing independent shops, but that comment really seemed out of line. Chin up! See you at Jessica Knits?

12:05 AM  
Blogger PJS said...

Jen, I just want to let you know that your comment above offended me. I am wearing a blue shirt today, and I don't appreciate your disparaging my color choice.

9:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been where you are with Jack...twice! My now 6 yo daughter and my 2.5 yo son NEVER slept through the night until they were 8-9 months old! It is tough to be sleep deprived and "nice" too!

This too will pass and be replaced by something else in early childhood or later.

Keep your chin up!

Sarah

10:36 AM  
Blogger Jack and Nicholas said...

Parley and Jen:

Stop using my blog to promote your bluist/anti-bluist agendas. You KNOW how I feel about political discussions in the knit blogging world.

10:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Brooke, I think that you are a great friend, person, and Mom. Why someone would be offended by anything on your blog is crazy! Your blog is so darn funny, and I love your pictures of Jack and of course knitting projects. That's my two cents! :) Meghan

2:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To each their own, Brooke. Don't take it to heart. I'll still knit with you...anytime, anywhere.

Michelle

4:50 PM  
Blogger illanna said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:43 AM  
Blogger illanna said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home