Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Elf Hat Pictures

Back when I first got pregnant I made a hat for Jack. Knowing nothing about babies, I made a huge size and a little tiny size, figuring one may fit him one day. I recently found the huge one and thought I'd try it on – of course it's still a little big, but maybe it will fit him this Christmas?

He wasn't feeling very photogenic, but here are some shots:

elf hat

elf hat 2

This is the best I can come up with for knitting photos. I haven't done anything knitting related today and probably won't until tomorrow. I have to sew the hood on the baby sweater and I just can't bring myself to do it for some reason. The red sweater isn't exciting enough to knit alone, and I can't find the pattern for the pink sweater. So very little to report on the knitting front. I'm actually considering casting on the flower basket shawl if you can believe it. The last thing I need is another project on needles, but that lovely knitpicks yarn calls to me.

I've contemplated the Illanna issue all day – that's part of the problem of staying home with a baby, you have a ton of time to obsess and wonder and surmise and think. I have received many emails and other feedback (my husband, Kim's husband, my relatives….) and a few comments were helpful, so I thought I'd share them with you all.

1. Consider the source. A 22 year old sorority girl? Open hostility and the propensity to become offended are requirements for survival.

2. Usually when women get mad about something, they are really mad about something else. I probably pissed her off long ago and she's just now lashing out at me. (Not a heartening thought, I can't imagine what I did.)

3. Women rarely attack alone. Most likely there was some discussion somewhere about me and my lack of tolerance for chain store shopping, and Illanna stepped up to voice the opinion of the group. (Not that this makes me feel better, now I'm wondering who else out there thinks I'm the devil.)

4. Getting mad at me for not liking Barnes and Noble is like getting mad at Parley for wearing blue. (Thanks Parley and Jen for adding a great deal of perspective to my day.)

5. Read her blog – something's up with her in general. She got mad at someone driving by who thought she was making a scarf and not socks. Hmmmm. Maybe she's misdirecting her anger a bit?

I don't care that people disagree with me; in fact I quite like it. Ask Joe. But the weird thing about this situation is I never saw it coming. One day Illanna and I are chatting about her degree program (hospitality) and the next she's removing my link from her blog because I said something as vile as (gasp!) I believe in supporting small business.

I tend to shy away from women's groups on the whole. (The exception is the Jr. League of Palo Alto – I loved those women and miss that organization a great deal.) Up to this point I have been so happy with knitting because it provided the opportunity to hang out with other women, knit, enjoy one another's company, and avoid the typical cattiness and drama that often goes hand in hand with gaggles of women. (Or are we flocks, I'm never quite certain.) Alas, those days are over, just one short year after the group began.

I hope this situation can resolve itself and we can all go back to talking about yarn and needles, as Jen would say. (Although if you're a knitter and feel like getting mad, go visit Richard's blog. A drag queen makes fun of men for knitting?)

In other more interesting news, we have another walker for the 3 day! Heather joined us online and we will all begin training soon. There's still time Jen. (And Julie, weren't you going to sign up? Mom? Shannon?)

The rain is coming back! Joy to the World!

Have a wonderful evening all. Drink some gin for me.

8 Comments:

Blogger asal said...

Hallo... nice one!

cheerio,
-zensufi-

5:11 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

I can't believe she took your link off her blog. How...extreme.

I say cast on the Flower Basket. You can never have too many WIPs.

6:14 PM  
Blogger PJS said...

JOY TO THE WORLD
THE LORD IS COME!
LET EARTH RECEIVE HER KING!
LET EV'RY HEART
PREPARE HIM ROOM
AND HEAV'N AND NATURE SING
AND HEAV'N AND NATURE SING
AND HE-EAV'N AND HE-EA-VEN AND
NA-
TURE
SING

Thank you.

6:33 PM  
Blogger JanetsJourney.com said...

What you said about women in general is true...sad...but true.

Why do women do this to each other. Look at any middle school and you can see it starts early. Very very sad.

7:18 PM  
Blogger illanna said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's too much controversy on the knitting blog. For now, I will stick with the Jack blog.

3:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*sigh* the truth is brooke never solicited comments, she was just upset that she pissed someone off and wrote about it. people saw the comment that illana left, saw how upset brooke was and reacted, left her comments and sent her emails. brooke never bashed anyone. right or wrong, other people did in her defense, because nothing she said was offensive.

4:00 PM  
Blogger Mac and Caden said...

How can I order one of those hats for Mac?

11:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home