Tuesday, November 02, 2004

The Frog and the Gorilla

I still don't really know why ripping out knitting is called frogging. But whatever the reason, I had the pleasure of frogging the poncho that had begun to resemble a gorilla. I love the feel of that yarn, I just wish it was a color other than black. I decided to try it as a harlot poncho instead and see if it looked better knit in the round. So far so good. I may just keep it for myself.



Someone's blog yesterday reminded me of Russian Joining This is a way of joining your yarn so there aren't any ends to weave in when you're finished. Since I hate to weave in ends (my baby blanket is still full of hanging yarns), this option is perfect for me. I'm trying it on the harlot poncho to see how it looks.

I have got to finish baby Vincent's hat. It's not even going to take me that long, I don't know why I'm putting it off. Probably because I don't love the yarn as much as some of my other projects. The silky wool of my dad's vest is just lovely, that's my favorite thing to work on now, and some of my secret projects are fun as well. Sigh. I guess I'll just finish the darn hat and be done with it.

Joe bought me a present at the grocery the other day – Annie's Organic Macaroni and Cheese. I had it for lunch yesterday after my massage and boy was it yummy. I'm not a fanatic about the organic thing, but if there is ever an option I will choose the more natural. (This doesn't happen at restaurants or coffee shops – I usually just have to settle with conventional foods on those occasions. And trust me, I would never ask "did you use organic flour to make this brownie?" I just eat the dang brownie.) Someday soon, hopefully before the little man starts eating solid foods, I will convince my mother of the importance of organic.


Alison made a comment:

" It's rough being the friend that girlfriends come to and cry on (over and over expecially when they don't learn their lesson the first 100 times) - so I've taken the quote as my own when listening to my roomate cry over guys over and over again..."Gosh Colleen - I guess he's JUST NOT THAT INTO YOU!" It works - she no longer crys on my shoulder! And I am happier becuase of it!"

I have to say, I really don't mind playing the advice-giver. I think these are hard lessons to learn – it certainly took me forever. And I know how much it sucks to be sitting in the middle of a bad decision and trying to figure out what to do about it. It's a horrible thing to fall in love with the wrong person. As women, I think we were taught to place a great deal of importance on "being in love" and not as much on making sure the person is right for us.

My mom offered to come over and do my laundry yesterday! Isn't that nice? Okay, there is one good thing about being pregnant. You can spend the entire day getting a massage, napping and knitting, and your mom will feel sorry for you and offer to do your chores.

And today's list:

Reasons to eat organic

Conventional cows are injected with hormones, eat feed full of pesticides, and have a diet that is not natural to a cow.

The abundance of corn in the diet of a cow changes the makeup of the meat, and creates bad cholesterol in people.

Conventional chickens live in the dark, also are filled with hormones (some growing four breasts instead of two!), and also eat food full of pesticides.

Organic meat is grown without the use of chemicals – so you are just getting the meat, not any of the additives ranchers use to "beef up" their cattle.

Therefore, the meat tastes better.

Organic vegetables are grown without chemicals as well.

Conventional vegetables are chock full of chemicals. Not just pesticides, but things like Miracle Grow that make the plants bigger and less flavorful. (If you've ever seen Miracle Grow, it looks like Draino.)

Organic food does not have as long of a shelf life, so it is significantly fresher when it gets to your table.

Organic farmers are typically independent families who take care of the environment and manage their crops intelligently.

Organic food is known to cause fewer food allergies in small children.

1 Comments:

Blogger Creative Genius? said...

Hey there...

1) Sweet site on the Russian Joining - I like that...Thanks!

2) I am glad I wasn't the only one who didn't know why it was called Frogging - only I was so dumb I asked the women at Fiber Factory and when they told me the same answer as Nancy gave you they looked at me like I was the dumbest thing on two legs... :-)

3) Ok -I sounded harsh on my comments so let me just say that I don't mind being the friend people cry on - except when it's the same friend with the same problem that I've given advice to (about the same problem) about 100 times before. Our roomate was just emotionally (sp?) unstable and it was the same issue over and over again - I just can't help someone who can't help themself....

Ok - I am heartless or it is honest... no it's both - I can deal with that!

Signed Your Heartless Friend
Alison

10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home