Friday, February 04, 2005

Life is Not a Competition

I met Kim and her friend Elaine (I think that’s her name, correct me if I’m wrong Kim) at Fiber Factory yesterday. Elaine just learned to knit and was picking out yarn for her first project. She is making Constant Companion to hold her knitting stuff. You’ve got to love a new knitter making a knitting bag! It’s going to look great and she had fun at the shop – although I think she was a little surprised at the cost of things.

Anyhow, we had lunch at the Picnic Company afterwards and chatted about various issues and items. Okay, really, we gossiped about people we know. But not in a bad way. I think the over-arching theme was dealing with women friends who are overly competitive. As in “I’m a better mother than you because….” type of people. Of course they are never that overt about it, these ARE women we’re talking about.

It just occurred to me as I was driving home that this is not a competition – none of it. At the end of your life they don’t hand you a prize. Best Knitter! Best Runner! Fastest Pie Crust in the West!

I wonder why we as women tend to compete with one another. Any comments on this topic would be welcome.

I’m off this morning to visit our friends at Southwest Trading Company. They need test knitters and I am going to be one! They supply the pattern and yarn, as well as enough yarn for me to make a project to keep! I’m very excited, they have some super cool stuff. And what better way to get free yarn. Free! Do you hear that? Free!

I’m also anxiously awaiting a package from Knit Picks. They said it shipped Tuesday so I should have it today, don’t you think?

After all this yarn overload, we’re heading out to Flagstaff this afternoon. I’m keeping my fingers crossed for snow, but it’s looking unlikely. At least I will have some good solid knitting time in the car and hopefully during the weekend as well. We’re taking our Godfather movies to watch and maybe a few other DVDs.

Jen has some valid concerns about the 3 day walk and I figured it best to address them here. She is worried about raising $2100, and thinks it unfair that if you don’t raise it all you can’t walk. For the first problem, I think we will all be able to raise the money – as a team we can spend the next 8 months coming up with brilliant ways to get funds in the door.

For the second problem, I can see your point. My only argument is that this event is very expensive to run, and they want to be certain to cover all costs and make a significant donation to breast cancer research. I find it refreshing in a way. I’ve attended so many black tie $100 a plate fundraising events where you know most of your ticket money went to pay for the event, so not much money went to the charity in question. At least here we know a significant amount of our donations will go to fund research.

I hope you decide to join us Jen. Remember, the shirts are REALLY cute. I will make it my mission to be sure you raise all your funds.

Have a great weekend everyone!

3 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

Hi Brooke - I totally relate to what you're saying about the whole competition thing.

Each day (well, M-F) I put a quote on the sidebar of my blog and yesterday's quote was: The most important thing she'd learned over the years was that there was no way to be a perfect mother and a million ways to be a good one. ~Jill Churchill.

11:51 AM  
Blogger Creative Genius? said...

I think a great fundraiser would be to sell the cool t-shirts you are going to make for the walk - that way those of us who can't walk (or don't want to walk) can still help you raise money and get a KICK BUTT T-shirt as well!

As for the competition.... I am totally competitive! I'll admit it - but usually with myself. However I prefer to surround myself with amazing and talented people (both women and men) who I can strive to be like - because just staying the same is no fun at all! So if I can learn something new, or achive something that I never thought possible - then why not compete - as long as a) they have no idea, b) i don't let it get in the way of relationships, and c) it's all for a purpose of learning or bettering myself and not just some stupid competition....

Just my two cents!

4:45 PM  
Blogger illanna said...

I got my test knitter stuff yesterday too! I'm afraid to post it on my blog, just in case it's supposed to be a secret. I am making a tank top though and i'm really excited about it. Next week I am going to pick up more yarn and another pattern so I have to make sure I finish this one pretty fast.

9:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home