Monday, March 21, 2005

Leaving on a jet plane...

Many years ago (9 to be exact), one of my closest friends moved across the country leaving me bereft and forlorn. A mutual friend - in his failed attempt to improve my sullen mood over martinis - told me “People Leave”. I found his comment cold and cruel at the time, and promptly threw my Kettel One in his face. (This was before I discovered gin.)

Now I appreciate his infinite wisdom and realize this type of insight can only come with age. Here I am, almost 33, facing the EXACT same situation with the EXACT same person for the third time (yes, my dear friend moves a lot, and so do I), and I have to agree. People DO leave. Not only is this specific friend moving away, he is my single remaining foothold in the real world. He is someone I can spend time with and not mention the baby one single time. He talks about issues other than diapers and preschool and when to start solid foods.

To top it off, another friend of mine who will remain nameless may be moving to China.

China. Not like, oh, I may move to New Mexico, you should come visit. China.

I’m just going to lock myself inside all summer and knit. To heck with friends.

On that note, I continue Mariposa and I’ve found myself falling in love with the pattern. It is repetitious enough to set down and pick up throughout the day (very important since I am often interrupted by a small scream from a little bald baby), but not even remotely boring. I can even knit in the car (provided someone else is driving.)

Here I’m on row 7 of the 22 row pattern. Remember, there are 308 stitches per row, so completing one single row is a feat in and of itself:

Row 7

And here’s a close-up of the lovely holes made by the fun yarn-overs. I love yarn-overs and I do not know why.

detail

Hopefully there will be some knitting this week. I just heard there is knitting in Mesa tonight at a new coffee place. Hmmm. I wonder if we should go? Jack is rarely cooperative enough for me to knit however, so maybe not.

I’ve also just learned that our SnB group has a blog of all things. It’s being updated by Becky and can be found here. There is also a link on my sidebar if you’re interested.

And I’d like to welcome our newest reader, Stephanie Distler, a beader from Pennsylvania. Stop by her blog and say hello.

5 Comments:

Blogger Mac and Caden said...

1) Where is he going this time?
2) You can't knit while driving?

9:26 AM  
Blogger Creative Genius? said...

Ok - but China is cool!!! Think of the trips you could take... when visiting you'll just HAVE to get a layover in Japan and do some NORO shopping!!! (think happy thoughts Brooke!!!)

So is now not the time to tell you I'm thinking about moving??? :-)

Cheer up and remember the bright side of people moving... more places for you to visit!

9:38 AM  
Blogger Chengdus & Don'ts said...

Hmmmmm, I wonder who is leaving? Hmmmm, I wonder who is going to China? I heard China is fantastic!

2:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I am leaving, but I promise to visit you incessantly.

-P

8:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Brooke, It's always hard when a friend moves away (and I think that the older we get the harder that can be, especially when it is a dear friend who goes back so far). Not that this will make you feel any better about it, but those close to us will always be that way, despite any sort of distance. Sure it is nice to live close by and have frequent visits, but I know that he will visit often, like he just said. Cheer up! :) Meghan

7:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home