Sunday, November 21, 2004

A Knitting Tragedy of Epic Proportions

The vest is sitting alone in the other room on the chair where I left it. The dog may decide to nest in it, but for now there is nothing to be done about that.

Last night as Florida beat Florida State, I finished the back. All 11 inches of stockinette stitch from the divide for the armholes. I placed the stitches for the front back onto my needle so I could work on the front today and be that much closer to completion. But a mistake reared its ugly head.

The cable is not in the center.

I counted stitches on either side. The number of stitches is not the same.

I hyperventilated a little, although that could have been a contraction. I did not cry. I simply set the knitting down and walked away. It remains to be seen if I am brave enough to pick it back up today and fix it. I know this will require ripping out the entire back, down to the armholes, and re-do the math to make the cable centered.

I can't fathom how I did this wrong. I was so careful. I counted and recounted. But still it is incorrect. This is what I get for modifying a pattern on my own.

In better news, the SnB group met for an overnight knitting party at Kid's Town last night. I haven't heard reports back, but I'm sure they all had a great time and got lots of knitting done.

AND

The venue for our Holiday Party has been selected. It is none other than the Southwest Trading Company Warehouse. Soy Silk. Bamboo. Something called Diva. Wool. They are going to do a fashion show and offer us last year's yarn at a discount. (Last year's yarn? What are we, Chanel designers? "Oh, I couldn't possibly use THAT yarn, it's from last season.") The date is December 9th and if you are in town and haven't received your evite let me or Kim know.

As you may have guessed, I'm still pregnant. Just in case you were wondering.

2 Comments:

Blogger Becky said...

OOOOHHHH Brooke, I am so sorry to hear this...I could say that at least it wasn't the cable that is off centered but that wouldn't make you feel any better would it? Good luck with trying to get it all figured out...

9:13 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

I'm sorry! It stinks when you do all that work on something and then have to rip it out. I have had that happen more times than I care to remember. Good luck with it when you do pick it back up!

1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home