Wednesday, November 10, 2004

R2 on stands now!

The new R2 magazine from Rowan is available. As with the first issue, there isn't much I would make in this one. Maybe this:



I've only ever seen this magazine online, so I don't know what the print edition is like. Most likely I wouldn't buy it though, I'd just like to see it. I'm sad to say these are the knitting projects of the much more youthful set of knitters. Sigh.

I worked on a secret project yesterday and it's going quickly. The vest is languishing in my purse, hopefully to get some attention this afternoon while I wait for the doctor. I think I should have used different needles. The Denise needles get stuck on certain types of fiber, and this is a very thin tweedy deal that doesn’t like those little joiny edges on the needles. I know if I switched though I would be in a mess of trouble with my gauge, so I'll just tough it out.

Pauline asked a great question via comments about why I am opposed to political discussions on blogs. I understand people have general blogs that talk about everything under the sun, but those aren't typically the sites I read. I'm merely pointing out that if you have a site devoted primarily to knitting (as in knitty.com, the blog for a knitting magazine), you should not have an entire post about your political views. And with a few of the other knitting blogs, I have been personally offended (attacked?) by some of the commentary, and it makes me sad because these women are great knitters and I love to look at their projects. But it's hard to get past the fact that they are basically calling me a stupid Jesus freak who hates gays. I am none of these things.

As for comparing the election to 9/11, well, all I have to say is some of us are actually happy about the election, which was not the case for 9/11.

So I say it again. Politics and knitting don't mix.

Letoya asked if Panne Bianco is owned by Chris Bianco, the guy who owns Pizzeria Bianco. (Do you sense a theme?) Yes! He owns both. And both are magnificent. I highly recommend the fresh mozzarella and tomato sandwich at Panne Bianco. My only complaint is they don't have anything good to drink.

And finally, Beth asked for the rhyme teaching people to knit. Here's the one I use, but I know there are others. If you have one, please leave it in my comments so I can share it with everyone.

In through the front door
Run around the back
Out through the window
Off jumps Jack


I love comments! Thank you all who comment on my blog, it makes me happy every morning.

I don't have a list today because I'm running out of ideas. But I do take requests, so drop me a note if you have a list you want me to make.

3 Comments:

Blogger Becky said...

Hey Brooke, I would love to get together tonight and knit. If you want just give me a ring and we can figure out a place. Maybe Mama Java's? I would say let's do Luxe but it is kind of dark... Or there is Starbucks on central or Coffee Plantation... Call me and let me know! Sorry, I didn't post this yesterday, I forgot!

8:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I said, I wasn't comparing the election and 9/11 in saynig that they are similar tragedies; obviously they're not. What I am saying is that both are the sort of event by which people mark off events and major changes in their lives - saying this or that happened before or after 9/11, or air travel has been different since 9/11 or whatever. I think people are already using the election as that kind of marker. I actually tried to think of something that wasn't a tragedy to compare it to, but the truth is the big events that we all tend to remember on a national level are usually things like attacks and assassinations. In private life, though, we do tend to use happy as well as sad events as apochal markers - just like you'll soon be talking about things as having happened before or after the baby came. It's a milestone, and that's all I was saying about this election.

Paula (not Pauline)

12:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it the door hanger that you are planning to knit from the R2D2 magazine?

7:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home