Sunday, November 07, 2004

Master Knitting

Has anyone ever heard of this program from the Knitters Guild? Some people were talking about it at SnB the other night so I looked it up online. Apparently you pay a fee and send your swatches in to the guild and they judge you. (Because I love to be judged so much.) It seems you have to keep doing the swatches until you get them right and they deem you a master. From what Becky said, they give you pointers on what you can do better with each swatch. But the confusing thing is they have three levels – Advanced Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced. Do you have to start at beginner? Has anyone out there completed one of these "courses"?

Today I am taking Gloria for her first yarn shopping trip and she's going to make a scarf. I'm so excited for her! She wants to wear it for Christmas – I think she'll have it done way before then, especially because it will just be stockinette. I'll try to remember to take pictures, but whenever I go the Jessica Knits I get distracted.

Last night we went to a new restaurant called Delux – it's a fancy hamburger place with 50 beers on tap. (I splurged and had a Fiji water AND an iced tea. This pregnancy won't get me down, no way.) I had my felted bag with me, the one that looks like Grover, and the waitress was in love with it. She asked me if I sold them, so of course I said yes! I gave her my information and she's allegedly going to call me later about making her a bag. The problem is, I have no idea how much to charge for it. I'm going to add up the cost of the yarn today and try to figure out exactly how much time I think it would take. It's so exciting! Of course she wants them for Christmas though, so I'm not sure how that would work with little Jack on the way. Hmmm.

So we got home and I really wanted to get to the armholes of the vest so if I had time to knit at Jessica's today I wouldn't be on the hard part. Of course by adding the cable and modifying the pattern a little to suit my dad's size, I had to do a lot of math to make certain the cable would be in the center of the sweater. I hate math. It was really only counting and adding and subtracting, but I felt like every time I made a decision about where to cast off the armholes it was different than the time before. It really shouldn’t be this hard.

I had to stay up past eleven but I'm already on to the decreases in the back. It's raining here today (thank goodness – it was 87 yesterday which is far too hot for November) so the picture required a flash, which washes out all the cables. But you can still see how far I've gotten.



As I write this Joe is in the kitchen making a frittata. He's never made one before, so of course he's got the recipe book out and he's chopping all kinds of things. From here it looks like sausage, tomatoes, cheese, artichoke hearts and maybe green onion. Yum. I don't know what got into him this morning or why he wanted to make an elaborate breakfast, but I'm certainly not going to complain.

Today is Julie's due date! Hopefully the rain will bring her baby out into the world – I know she is very uncomfortable and isn't sleeping well. Not that she'll sleep any better with a screeching newborn, but at least she won't waddle so much. I still have 11 days (not that I'm counting).

Today's list was recommended by Parley. It's the ten things I like about Thanksgiving, since it's only a few weeks away.

No gift giving required
Pumpkin Pie
You can start listening to Christmas music
You can put up the Christmas lights (right Joe?)
My brother, his family, and my 92 year old grandfather Avery come to visit
Leftover turkey sandwiches
Joe takes time off work without checking his email obsessively
The holiday part is over early, so we can laze around the house and do nothing
It's usually cold enough for a fire in the fireplace
Jack will be here this year (one can hope)

3 Comments:

Blogger Becky said...

Hey Brooke, I know that this is kind of late in asking but I just read an article about when adding cables in to plain ST St paterns. It talks about how the cable, no matter how big or small will still take up inches from the total width! I thought of you when I read this article, so get out your measuring tape now and make sure that you are still at the same width, okay! I don't want you to be done with the thing and then it doesn't fit!

9:32 AM  
Blogger illanna said...

Mmmmm that restaraunt sounds good! Where is it? Was the food good???

4:27 PM  
Blogger illanna said...

Here is the link for the diamond pattern bag that i mentioned yesterday in your comments: http://freefriends.org/~mare//pattern1.html

Is that something like what you wanted to make??

4:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home