Saturday, January 22, 2005

KNIT 1 WALK 3

No zipper to report, no finished pictures of the jacket for Angus. My mom came over and got my life back in order instead, and thank goodness she did. This week has been semi-upside-down with a new sleep schedule in place for the little man and very little sleep for me.

I've heard from several group members regarding our group name, and I think everyone likes Knit 1, Walk 3. I agree. That is our official name – I've signed up and so can you. Go to www.the3day.org and click Register Now. The group should be available for you to join.

Some people are afraid of the fundraising. $2100 is a lot of money. It will not be easy. But everyone who signs up will have my full support – I will help us all reach our goals and walk 60 miles.

I don't have a really good reason for doing this walk – I haven't lost anyone to breast cancer or even really know anyone who has died of the disease. I do have a very dear friend battling breast cancer right now – Diane Bickford – and she's been but for me it's more about my son than anything else. I've suddenly become very aware of my own mortality. I used to think, Well, if I die, I've lived a fantastic life. Some people will be sad, but at least they can say I have lived. Now I feel like if I die I will be severely impacting Jack's life, and how he views the world. It is devastating for people to lose their parents at a young age. My mom did it, and I have always regretted the fact that I did not know her parents. So I am walking to save myself in a way.

So yes, I think it will be hard. And yes, I think in some ways it may be merely symbolic. I mean, will my $2100 (minus expenses to put on the walk) really make that big of a difference in the fight against cancer? I'm not convinced it will, but put in a pot with everyone else's $2100 I think there is a significant impact.

On Monday I will be unveiling a contest to get everyone involved – walkers, donators, volunteers, etc. Please stop back by and see what you can win and how you can help our Knit 1, Walk 3 Group to meet our goals.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brooke,

Make sure to post your participant number so we can put you in as the person who referred us!

Eva :)
www.trueepicure.com/blog

1:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home