Thursday, May 19, 2005

My Mother, the Overachiever

So we met on Monday afternoon to start the Master Knitter program. It was a bit challenging with Jack – we had to keep passing him around the table so one person could not knit at any given time. But it was fun, we worked out how to do the first three swatches, started our notebooks and we’re on our way.

My mom already has two swatches done. Show off.

I switched yarn because I didn’t like the Encore. I am now using a Knitpicks Andean Silk yarn that I love, but I’m afraid it’s too dark. They are very specific about needing a light yarn. Here is my first swatch so far, you tell me what you think of the color:

swatch 1

You can also see one of my birthday gifts from Joe sitting on the coffee table waiting to be read. I love Jon Stewart and I can’t wait to read this book.

To answer Squareslant’s question, the knife on the mantle was made for Jack by my father. He thinks every young man needs a Bowie Knife, and I tend to agree. His cousin Vince has one as well, but Jack’s is cooler. Here is a better shot of the knife when Jack was much smaller:

knife

More pictures of the house are forthcoming. I took a break from the neatening project to celebrate my birthday, but we’re back in full swing today. I should have a dining room and kitchen shot soon.

My birthday was great. It started at my parent’s house – Jack and I spent the night there to get him ready for this weekend. He’s going to stay at Grandma’s Saturday night while we go to Joe’s firm retreat at the Arizona Biltmore, and I wanted him to sleep there at least once ahead of time. It worked out well because Joe was in San Diego, so I got to have a birthday breakfast with my mom.

Then I took off shopping. Nordstrom Rack is one of those hit-or-miss kind of stores. Yesterday I really hit it though – everything I tried on looked good and fit, and everything was such a great deal. The dress I wore last night was $13. I’ve bought yarn more expensive than that!

For dinner we left the babe with Grandma Gloria and had dinner at Lon’s at the Hermosa Inn. If you ever have some cash to throw around I highly recommend this place. When we arrived our menus said “Happy Birthday Brooke” at the top. We sat outside and the weather was just perfect. They also had one of my favorite wines on the list, and unlike most restaurants it was not marked up 300%. (The wine is Robert Sinskey Pinot Noir, and I love love love it.)

Joe continues to hate to have his picture taken, so he photographed me with my parents by the fountain. unfortunately it’s too dark to see the fountain, but here we are with me turning 33.

my birthday

In other exciting news, I’ve just signed up my first student for my knitting class. It is going to start June 3rd at 10 a.m. and I’m very excited. Apparently 2 other people are interested as well, so hopefully we’ll get a decent sized group. I dropped off my samples at the shop last week and I’m getting my materials ready.

I missed Mama Java’s last night – I hope everyone had a good time. And thanks for all the birthday wishes!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home